Welcome to Bike & Saddle Eco-Active Trips and Holidays!
From our base in Cape Town South Africa, we offer a range of active trips and holidays - in and near Cape Town, the Western Cape region, and beyond.
Individual, family and bespoke experiences, crafted to appeal to your active lifestyle, your fitness level and your group preferences. Most of all - we bring you to our home, on the Southern tip of Africa.
Plan your holiday now. Choose the number of days you wish to spend with us
- In Cape Town (pre and-or post trip)
- On The Garden Route (days with an 'OPTIONAL' label can be included or excluded depending your budget and time.
How to plan? The cost per person per day is given in EUR (€) and USD ($) at the end of each day's description below. The rate is all inclusive once in country. Airfares are quoted separately.
ALL INCLUSIVE: Airport and Hotel Transfers; Accommodation; Meals and some beverages; Park and Museum fees; Cellar and Specialist tours and excursions en-route; Equipment (bikes, kayaks etc.)
On the San trail - We depart Cape Town early, following a route to the modern day home of a century-old society and culture, the /Xam Bushmen. We stop and overnight in the picturesque West Coast Village of Paternoster - where magical cuisine and local hospitality bumps up against the salty waters of the Atlantic.
The stop at Ikhwa ttu San Cultural Centre and Private Game Park, 70km outside of Cape Town near Yzerfontein is the perfect start to our journey, a living celebration of past and present and an uplifting and inspirational experience of a minority peoples struggle to preserve their identity. We learn about the region's fauna and flora and the San people's unique relationship with their environment - our bike ride - an easy 20km - is the perfect antidote to the morning's car drive out. It also sets the stage for our first culinary experience of the tour! Lunch is served at the centre after which we take another short shuttle to our overnight destination at Paternoster.
Paternoster, meaning "Our Father" derives its name from the prayers of ship-wrecked Portuguese sailors. Visitors to Paternoster delight in watching whales and dolphins frolicking in the ocean (ten months of the year) and after the first spring rains, the landscape is transformed by the millions of indigenous flowers which open and densely carpet the earth in bright bursts of colour (usually between late July and September).
For bird lovers, Paternoster is home to over 250 species of birds with seabirds (Seagulls, cormorants, sacred ibis and the Oystercatcher) using this coastline as their breeding ground.
After checking in at our lovely accommodations for the evening, a long walk on the beach is a must - or if you prefer, biking out to the nearby West Coast Fossil Park and the Cape Columbine lighthouse (the last manned lighthouse built in in 1936).
COST: €440 EUR per person sharing - all inclusive.
THE END - DAY 1
From township to urban vibe - Today's activities include a visit to one of South Africa's largest townships, Khayalitsha on the city's outskirts, and the Mother City's inner-city precinct, for an intimate and rich cultural exchange and heritage experience.
Bike & Saddle trips are all inclusive, carefully researched and custom-designed to ensure a perfect balance of adventure and luxury - with zero hassle for our guests. Including, but not limited to
- Quality bicycles and all equipment, (suitable for the terrain and topography) customised for our guests (woman's saddles, custom pedals, handlebar bags, etc.)
- Exclusive and excellent routes (backroads and private estates) - guests can cycle longer or shorter loops, do as as little or much cycling as they wish
- varied sights and sounds -spectacular vantage points
- Restaurants and wineries included on the route and our signature picnics – designed to be the culinary highlight on each tour
- Specialist and local cycle, hiking or walking guides, with 100's of hours of training and experience - and your choice of language guide
- Flights, hotel and airport transfers, back-up vehicle and drivers on each trip
- Parks, museum and all entrance fees, cellar tours, tastings and meals
- The finest overnight accommodation with 5-star hospitality guaranteed (see Eco-Active Partners) in the perfect setting along the route
- Special attention on our family trips on all of the above, ensuring teenagers and children together with parents have the best complimentary active travel experience.